Generic Name : Dapagliflozin
Brand Name : Farxiga
Manufacture : Astrazeneca Pharma India Ltd
Presentation : Tablet
Delivery Days : 10 to 12 working days
Quantity : 28 Pills
What is Forxiga 10 mg?
It belongs to the category of drugs known as anti-diabetic. Forxiga 10mg is mainly used to manage and treat type 2 diabetes. It is a condition that takes place when there is either very less insulin or the insulin available is not used well by the body cells to lower raised blood sugar.
What is Forxiga 10 mg tablet used for?
It is used for treating:
- Type 2 diabetes:
- In adults and kids below 10 years or older.
- If type 2 diabetes is not controlled with exercise and diet.
- Alone or with other drugs for diabetes treatment.
- Keep on following the advice of your doctor on exercise and diet.
- Heart failure
- In adults who are 18 years old or more when the heart is unable to pump blood as it should.
- Chronic Kidney disease
- In adults having lowered kidney function.
How does Forxiga 10 mg tablet work?
It lowers levels of blood sugar. It blocks the action of SGLT-2 present in the kidney. It removes all excess sugar from the body through your urine.
Dosage of Forxiga 10 mg tablet
How to use Forxiga 10 mg tablet?
Take it in the dosage and duration told by your doctor. Swallow the whole tablet. You should avoid chewing it. Do not crush or break it. You may take it with your meal. You may also not have food with Forxiga 10mg. Always try to use it at the same time daily.
- If there is 12 hours or more time before you take the next dosage, take your missed one once you remember it. Then continue with the scheduled dose at the normal time.
- If there are less than 12 hours before taking the next dosage, skip the missed one. Take the scheduled dosage at the normal time.
- You should not double your dosage to compensate for any forgotten dosage.
- If your use more tablets of Forxiga 10mg than your doctor told you, tell your doctor. Overdosage is serious and must be avoided.
When you should not use Forxiga 10 mg tablet?
- If you are allergic to it do not use Forxiga 10mg.
- People who are having serious Kidney issues or are on dialysis must avoid using it.
- It is not suggested for pregnant women. If you are pregnant tell your doctor and take it only he mentions.
- Lactating mothers should avoid using this drug.
- If you have liver conditions or diseases consult your doctor before using Forxiga 10mg.
- If you are aged below 18 years, do not use it.
Side effects of Forxiga 10 mg tablet
Most of the side effects do not require any medical aid. They disappear as the body adjusts slowly to this drug. Discuss with your doctor if they stay or if you get worried about them.
Common side effects:
- Fungal infection in the genital
- Infection in the urinary tract
Uncommon side effects:
- Dry mouth
- Decreased weight
- Fast heartbeat
- Increase in urea and creatinine
Rare side effects
- Kidney inflammation
Interactions of Forxiga 10 mg tablet
Forxiga 10mg may interact with the following drugs:
- Muscle relaxant
- Anti-diabetic drugs
- Drugs for enlarged prostate
- Heart-related drugs
- Antiparkinson’s drugs
People with the following disease must avoid using Forxiga 10mg. If required to use they should consult a doctor.
- Heart diseases like myocardial infarction or congestive heart failure
- Sugar and ketones in the urine
- Severe liver or kidney disease
- Urinary tract infection
This drug may interact with your household sugar. It will cause stomach upset and abdominal discomfort. So you should avoid having foods rich in sugar content. Other than this, do not drink alcohol while using Forxiga 10mg tablet because it will increase the sugar level in your blood or cause a sudden drop.
Precautions of Forxiga 10 mg tablet
- Forxiga 10mg may cause the body to lose a lot of fluid or you may be urinating more frequently. So drink water and be hydrated.
- Carry some fruit juice or sugary food if you experience symptoms like anxiety, cold sweats, tremor, or cool pale skin.
- You should drive if you are mentally focused and physically stable. If you suffer from drowsiness after using these drugs, you must not drive or use any vehicle or machine.
- Check your blood sugar regularly while using this drug.
Things to remember while using Forxiga 10 mg tablet
- It is alone use or along with other drugs for diabetes for controlling blood sugar and avoiding any long-term complications.
- This drug may cause a low level of blood sugar when you take it with other anti-diabetic drugs or alcohol. It may happen if you delay your meal or miss it.
- It may cause genital fungal or UTI in males and females. So maintain good hygiene.
- If you face continuous joint pain, dizziness, unexplained vomiting or nausea, and cold-like symptoms tell your doctor.
How to store Forxiga 10mg?
- Keep this drug in a dry and cool place.
- You must keep it away from any direct sunlight.
- You should not let your kids or pet come near it.
- You should not take Forxiga 10mg after its expiry date. It will be available on the blister or carton and it refers to that month’s last date.
- This drug does not need any special conditions for storage.
- You should not throw away any drugs through household waste or wastewater.
- You need to ask your doctor or local pharmacist how to dispose of away the drugs you no longer need or use. So you can protect your surroundings.
Frequently asked questions
I feel good now. Can I stop using Forxiga 10mg?
No. You should not stop using it without asking your doctor. If you suddenly quit using Forxiga 10mg then it may worsen your Diabetes. Tell your doctor if any symptom bothers you or if you see no considerable improvement in the condition. Your doctor may suggest any other drug which could treat Diabetes more effectively.
Does it cause loss of weight?
Yes. This drug may cause weight loss in a few people. But it is a very uncommon side effect. If you gain weight suddenly or have concerns related to your weight, talk with your doctor.
My doctor asked me to take metformin along with Forxiga 10mg. Why?
For a few people, using metformin alone can lower levels of blood sugar. But according to evidence, adding Forxiga 10mg to this drug therapy may offer better control over the increased levels of blood sugar in a lot of people. So maybe your doctor asked you to take both these drugs to get the extra help you require.
I am going to have surgery. Can I use Forxiga 10mg before it?
Let your doctor know that you are using Forxiga 10mg before your surgery. He may ask you to quit using it before the operation. It is done as there is a risk of developing a serious condition that may occur if you do not treat high blood sugar.